The Prime Minister’s priorities
“The people’s priorities are our priorities. We promise to:
- Halve inflation this year to ease the cost of living and give people financial security.
- Grow the economy, creating better-paid jobs and opportunity right across the country.
- Reduce debt so that we can secure the future of public services.
- Cut waiting lists so people will get the care they need more quickly.
- Stop the boats so if you come to the country illegally, you’re detained and swiftly removed.
“These are not the limits of our ambitions. Delivering these five promises will give people peace of mind today and provide the foundation for our plans to build a better future for our children and grandchildren.
- A more innovative economy – Innovation will be at the heart of everything we do. As well as investing in R&D, we must seize the opportunities of Brexit, and support those who can to move back to work.
- Stronger communities – We will restore optimism, hope, and pride in the UK with reinvigorated towns and high streets as well as safer streets. That means stopping violence against women and girls, reducing reoffending, beating addiction, and tackling anti-social behaviour.
- World-class education – No matter where they grow up, we want to give every child the highest standard of education and we’ll work with the sector to require children to study some form of maths up to the age of 18. We’ll also invest in people so that they have the skills they need to navigate a changing world.
- NHS built around patients – The NHS will always be free at the point of use. But we want an NHS where patients are in control, with as much choice as possible. So we’ll give patients more information and data, allowing them to make more informed choices and hold their services to account. There will no longer be unwarranted variation in performance between trusts.
- Supporting families – Family matters, and we will support parents and families as they navigate the demands of modern life.”